Monday, September 20, 2010

An addiction I’m not afraid to admit

I can remember 12 years ago, chatting with a friend on AOL. I noticed his answer time got longer and longer, so I asked him what he was doing. Playing Slingo, he says. “What? What is that?” It’s like Bingo and Slots in one. It’s fun. Try it out. Just type in the keyword ‘Slingo’. And thus began my Slingo addiction.

I played for hours at a time. I’d go for hours without sleep just trying to beat my previous score. The X would get frustrated on occasion when I wouldn’t come to bed, or wouldn’t let him on the computer. I clearly hadn’t grasped the concept of sharing. I can’t imagine having to share a computer with someone now. Eek.

We finally dropped AOL as our ISP, and there hadn’t yet been a Slingo website developed. I went through Slingo withdraws, literally. The X bought me the computer game, so at least I could get my fix, but it just wasn’t the same when I had only myself to play against. I enjoyed the trill of playing with other people just as much as I enjoyed playing. (I still have that game, now that I think about it.)

Alas came the Slingo website. I signed up as a member as soon as I found out about it, and began racking up the points. Yay! I had my addiction back. Just in time for divorce to hit. Damn. No more computer. I promise, the computer wasn’t what I was thinking about while I was getting separated from The X, but I do remember wondering who would be my computer tech now.

Recently, I downloaded the Slingo app on my iTouch. The addiction is back, and I couldn’t be happier. I’m back to hours and hours of fun. And I have an old friend from South Texas to thank for my addiction. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment